Monday, March 23, 2015

Rainy Days and Mondays

Rainy Days and Mondays: A lyrical litany

Weather has a strange power over us.
Steven and I took a short walk in the rain. When we headed back to the car, I wondered what all my hurrying was about. 

What ever happened to the notion of the purposeful, romantic walk in the rain, one where people actually get wet? Is this an exclusive rite of very young, fools in love or  lovers in a Nicolas Sparks novel?

Perhaps it is true that rainy days (and Monday) always get us down.  But how can I claim I made it through the rain, if I don’ ever soak it in? Sure, I prefer sunshine on my shoulders, but there is something healing and humbling, and exhilarating about standing in the rain. All little kids know that.

I am not advising you rush out into an open field during a tornado, or stand under the tallest tree in a thunder and lightning storm or casually disregard a local hurricane emergency evacuation, but baby, the rain must fall.  So don't just stare out the window, get out there, let the rain fall over you sometime, and not just to see if there really is something, somewhere over the rainbow.

The sun will come out, tomorrow.  Enjoy the rain today, it washes the planet clean, and fills our lakes and streams and grows our food. It is one of the most powerful and paradoxically, most gentle sources of life.  

And always after the rain, here comes the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment